FOLLOW US

Sunday, December 27, 2015

CONGESTIVE HEART FAILURE (CHF)

CONGESTIVE  HEART  FAILURE (CHF)

Case 1:
A 62-year-old man with hypertension and dyslipidemia presents with dyspnea and lower-extremity edema for 2 months. On exam there is jugular venous distention (about 9 cm.), an S3 gallop, and the apical impulse is displaced to the left of the mid-clavicular line at the 6th intercostal space. The chest x-ray shows enlarged cardiac silhouette. The echocardiogram shows a dilated left ventricle with an ejection fraction of 35  .


Case 2:
A 57-year-old man with history of multiple myeloma presents with dyspnea and lower-extremity edema for 2 months. On exam there is jugular venous distention (about 8 cm.), an audible S4, and the apical impulse is non-displaced at the 5th intercostal space. The chest x-ray shows normal cardiac silhouette. The echocardiogram shows a thickened left ventricle with an ejection fraction of 65 .

Heart failure (HF) arises from the inability of the ventricle to efficiently pump blood throughout the circulation. Clinically HF presents with symptoms of breathlessness, exercise intolerance, and fatigue (see below signs and symptoms).
As HF evolves, changes in vascular function, blood volume, and neurohumoral status occur throughout the body. These changes serve as compensatory mechanisms to help maintain cardiac output (primarily by the Frank-Starling mechanism) and arterial blood pressure (by systemic vasoconstriction). However, these compensatory changes over time can worsen car- diac function. Cardiac changes during HF include: increased end-diastolic volume; ventricular dilatation or hypertrophy; decreased stroke volume and cardiac output; reduced ejection frac- tion (systolic dysfunction) or impaired filling (diastolic dysfunction). Compensatory mecha- nisms during HF include:
Cardiac: Frank-Starling mechanism, tachycardia, ventricular dilatation;
Neuronal: increased sympathetic adrenergic activity, reduced cardiac vagal activity;
Hormonal: activation of angiotensin-aldosterone system, vasopressin, catechol- amines, and natriuretic peptides.

In clinical practice, HF is commonly categorized by whether the abnormality is due to contraction or relaxation of the heart. Systolic HF (systolic dysfunction) is due to a loss of contractile strength of the myocardium accompanied by ventricular dilatation. This type of HF is also accompanied by a decrease in normal ventricular emptying (usually ejection frac- tion of less than 45%). Examples of systolic HF include ischemic cardiomyopathy and dilated cardiomyopathy (Case 1 in this section).
Diastolic HF (diastolic dysfunction or HF failure with normal ejection fraction) occurs when the filling of one or both ventricles is impaired while the emptying capacity is normal (echo- cardiogram confirms that the ejection fraction is normal). The infiltrative cardiomyopathies (amyloidosis) are typical examples of diastolic HF (Case 2 in this section).
Congestive HF indicates a clinical syndrome of dyspnea and fatigue as well as evidence of features of circulatory congestion (peripheral edema, elevated jugular venous pressure [JVP]). In heart failure, intravascular congestion occurs with elevation of left ventricular diastolic and pulmonary venous pressures that eventually causes transudation of fluid from the pulmonary capillaries into the interstitial space. Pulmonary edema develops when the rate of fluid accumulation goes above the rate of lymphatic absorption. Pulmonary edema is detected by audible crackles, increased JVP and edema on exam, and chest x-ray findings.
Decompensated HF or exacerbation of HF denotes worsening of symptoms and clinical findings in pre-existing HF. This can be due to precipitating factors such as non-adherance to medication, increase in dietary salt, acute ischemia, tachycardia, or pulmonary infection.

In evaluating patients with HF or worsening of pre-existing HF, it is also important to exclude precipitating factors. Commonly, HF manifests for the first time when a precipitating factor places additional burden on the heart. Such factors include:
Cardiac ischemia and myocardial infarction
Infections (especially pulmonary infections)
Arrhythmias (especially atrial fibrillation)
Excessive dietary salt (commonly after holiday meals)
Uncontrolled hypertension (especially after abrupt cessation of anti-hypertensive medication)
Thyrotoxicosis
Anemia

HF may occur as a consequence of most causes of heart disease, but ischemic heart disease   is responsible for over 70% of all cases in the western world. Other common causes include: hypertensive heart disease, the cardiomyopathies (idiopathic, alcohol related, etc.), and valvular and congenital heart diseases.
Symptoms of HF include:
Dyspnea (differentiate from pulmonary dyspnea—See Table 5-4)
Orthopnea
Paroxysmal nocturnal dyspnea
Fatigue, weakness


Table 5-4. Most Common Causes of Acute Pulmonary Edema

Clinical Pearl

In the work-up of patients with new-onset HF, always try to identify potentially reversible causes.


Clinical Pearl

In the work-up of patients with exacerbation of HF, always:
Check cardiac enzymes to exclude myocardial ischemia or infarction
Do a chest x-ray to exclude infection







Physical findings in HF:
Pulmonary rales
Peripheral edema, ascites
Hepatomegaly
Jugular venous distention
Displaced apical impulse (systolic HF)

The severity of heart failure is commonly classified by using a HF staging system. The New York Heart Association Functional Classification (NYHA staging system) relates symptoms to everyday activities and the patient’s quality of life:
Class I: patients have no limitation of activity; they suffer no symptoms from ordi- nary activities
Class II: patients with slight, mild limitation of activity; they are comfortable with rest or with mild exertion
Class III: patients with marked limitation of activity; they are comfortable only at rest
Class IV: patients are confined to bed or chair; any physical activity brings on dis- comfort and symptoms occur at rest
Diagnosis. Echocardiography is the test-of-choice to confirm the diagnosis of HF and to classify the type (systolic vs. diastolic). With the echocardiogram, the clinician is able to determine ejection fraction and identify valvular heart disease as well as other cardiac anom- alies (dilated ventricle, thickened ventricle, etc.).
Chest x-rays are also used to aid in the diagnosis of heart failure. They may show cardio- megaly, vascular redistribution, Kerley B-lines, and interstitial edema.




Note

BNP is used acutely if the cause of dyspnea is not clear.

Electrocardiogram is used to identify ventricular hypertrophy and/or the presence of isch- emic heart disease, arrhythmias, or conduction delays which may cause or precipitate HF.
Brain Natriuretic Peptide (BNP) is a polypeptide secreted by the heart in response to excessive stretching of the myocytes. It is a valuable tool in the evaluation of patients with presumed HF or decompensated HF in the acute setting. The BNP is almost always elevated (97% sensitiv- ity) in patients with decompensated HF. Normal BNP excludes CHF as the cause of dyspnea.

Management. The treatment goals in HF are to improve hemodynamics, relieve symptoms (improve quality of life), and prolong survival. Remember, always evaluate for reversible causes at the same time.
Non-pharmacologic treatment includes primarily reduction of salt   intake.

For pharmacologic treatment, ACE inhibitors are the basis of therapy and recommended for all patients with HF (especially systolic HF), irrespective of blood pressure status. They improve survival and reduce ventricular hypertrophy—and eventually, symptoms. ACE inhib- itors through vasodilation reduce preload and afterload, thereby reducing right atrial, pulmo- nary arterial, and pulmonary capillary wedge pressures. All ACE inhibitors have been studied and are considered equal in terms of HF treatment. Angiotensin receptor blockers (ARB) are acceptable alternatives if the patient is unable to tolerate ACE inhibitors (cough, angioedema).
Diuretic therapy, especially loop diuretics, is the treatment of choice for the relief of acute pulmonary edema symptoms. Several classes are used but the loop diuretics (furosemide)
 class is the most commonly used. Thiazide diuretics (hydrochlorothiazide) are useful only in mild HF. Spironolactone and eplerenone (aldosterone antagonists) have been used as add-on therapy to ACE inhibitors in severe heart failure to prolong survival by presumed aldosterone inhibition.
Chronic adrenergic activation has been implicated in the pathogenesis of HF and thus
-adrenergic blocking agents are an important part of HF therapy. Along with ACE inhibi- tors, beta blockers have been demonstrated to decrease mortality, reduce hospitalizations, improve functional class, and improve ejection fraction in several large-scale, randomized, placebo-controlled trials. Patients should be started on beta blockers after stabilization of symptoms with diuretic and ACE inhibitor therapy, irrespective of blood pressure status. The beta blockers that have been demonstrated in trials are carvedilol and  metoprolol.
Other vasodilators, such as a combination of hydralazine and isosorbide, may be used when ACE inhibitors and ARBs are not tolerated or contraindicated (renal failure). There is a reduction in death and a decrease in hospitalization when a combination of hydralazine and isosorbide is used.
In severe HF and especially if there is no improvement of symptoms while the patient is on standard therapy (diuretic, ACE  inhibitor, and beta blocker), the addition of  spironolactone   is of benefit. The addition of spironolactone in patients with severe congestive heart failure significantly reduces (about 30% relative risk) death and hospitalizations among treated  patients. Spironolactone is used in patients with NYHA class III-IV. Once the patient is started on spironolactone, serum potassium levels have to be monitored closely.
Eplerenone is an alternative to spironolactone that does not cause gynecomastia.





Note

Agents which lower mortality in systolic dysfunction
ACE (ARB)
Beta blockers
Spironolactone (or eplerenone)

The addition of inotropic agents to patients with severe HF improves symptoms and quality  of life and reduces hospitalizations but does not improve survival. The most commonly used inotropic agent is digitalis. Digitalis inhibits Na+/K+ - ATPase pump which results in increased intracellular concentration of Na+ and decreased exchanges of intracellular Ca2+. The end result is an increase in intracellular concentration of Ca2+ which results in improved cardiac contractility.
Cardiac glycosides work by inhibition of Na+/K+-ATPase pump, which results in:
Increased intracellular concentration of Na+
Decreased exchange of intracellular Ca2+ for extracellular Na+
The end result is an increase in the intracellular concentration of Ca2+, which gives the (+) inotropic effect characteristic of glycoside
Remember that K+ and digitalis compete for myocardium binding sites. Hyperkalemia will decrease digitalis activity, whereas hypokalemia results in toxicity.

Digitalis will increase both the force and the velocity of the myocardial contraction. It will also promote a more complete emptying of the ventricles.
It is used for the treatment of:
CHF
Atrial fibrillation/flutter
Paroxysmal atrial tachycardia/SVT


Conditions which predispose to digitalis toxicity are:
Renal insufficiency
Electrolyte disturbances (hypokalemia, hypercalcemia, hypomagnesemia)
Advanced age
Sinoatrial and atrioventricular block
Thyroid disease, especially hypothyroidism

Note

Agents which decrease symptoms but not mortality
Digoxin
Diuretics
 Toxic Effects of Digitalis
Nausea and vomiting
Gynecomastia
Blurred vision
Yellow halo around objects
Arrhythmias—commonly paroxysmal atrial tachycardia (PAT) with block, PVCs (premature  ventricular  contractions), and bradycardia
Treatment for Intoxication
Stop drug
Lidocaine and phenytoin (for arrhythmia)
Digibind only for acute overdose
Sympathomimetic amines (dopamine, doputamine) and phosphodiesterase inhibitors (amrinone, milrinone) are sometimes used in the management of severe acute HF (hospi- talized patients). They must be administered by intravenous infusion and need continuous monitoring of the blood pressure and cardiac  rhythm.




Clinical Pearl

Diastolic HF may worsen when diuretics and vasodilators are used excessively. The goal
in diastolic HF is to slow the heart rate with beta blockers and calcium channel blockers (verapamil, diltiazem) in order to allow adequate diastolic filling.

Monitoring of patients with HF includes calculation of fluid intake and excretion (in the hospital) as well as monitoring body weight (in the out-patient  setting).
In refractory HF (defined as progression of HF despite standard treatment), the patient may be considered for: biventricular pacing, implantable defibrillator, and heart transplantation.






4 comments:

  1. I am 58 years old, and was diagnosed with heart failure over a year ago. My main symptoms was fatigue, shortness of breath, and a general sense that these symptoms will keep me out of normal life activities, my symptom was not being able to breathe when lying down basically . I’ve kind of resigned to the fact that this is how life will be for me back until I found herbs that stop this CHF easily and relief all the airways. My wife and her caregiver assume I can't be as active, and thus I was excused from normal life responsibilities but natural herbs from totalcureherbalfoundation .blogspot .com really helped a but sometimes I think is God prodigy that I was able to treat my congestive heart failure  but total cure herbs foundation herbal formula has a big impact on my recovery because my heart condition has been fully eliminate. They do things for me, and was too happy to comply with their service. This is a equitable of a way to get of your heart failure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello everyone!! I'm Marilyn Here in the States and I'm here to talk about what Dr. James did for me. I have been suffering from (GENITAL HERPES VIRUS) disease for the past 4 years and had constant pain and itching, especially in my private part. During the first year. This disease started circulating all over my body and  I have used Oregano oil, Coconut oil, Acyclovir, Val acyclovir, Acyclovir, and some other products and it really helped during my outbreaks but I totally got cured! From my HSV with a strong and active herbal medicine ordered from  Dr. James herbal mix and it completely fought the virus from my nervous system, and I was tested negative after 15 days of using  Dr. James herbal mix medicine. I'm here to let you all know that the herpes virus has a complete cure, I got rid of mine with the help of Dr. James herbal medicine.  I came across a testimony of Tasha, on the internet testifying about Dr. James, on how he cured Her of 7 years HSV 2. And she also gave the email address of  the great Dr. James  (drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com...]..., advising anybody to contact him for help on any kind of diseases that he would be of help with, so I emailed him telling him about me (HSV 2) he told me not to worry that I'm going to be cured!! Well, I never doubted him. I have faith he can cure me too, Dr. James prepared and sent me his herbal mix medicine made of roots and herbs which I took. In the first one week, I started experiencing changes all over me, after 15 days I drank his herbal mix medicine, I was totally cured. No more inching, pain on me anymore as Dr. James assured me. After some time I went to my doctor to do another test. The result came out negative. So friends my advice is if you have such disease or know anyone who suffers from it or any other disease like Alzheimer's Disease, Warts, Moles, Bipolar disorder, Shingles, HPV, HIV/AIDS, ALS, HBP, CANCER, NEPHROTIC SYNDROME HIV / AIDS, herpes cancer, Ovarian Cancer, Pancreatic cancers, bladder cancer, bladder cancer, prostate cancer, Glaucoma., Cataracts, Macular degeneration, Cardiovascular disease, Autism, Lung disease. Enlarged prostate, Osteoporosis. Alzheimer's disease, psoriasis, Tach Diseases, Lupus, Backache, dementia. Kidney cancer, lung cancer, skin cancer, skin cancer and skin cancer. Testicular Cancer, LEUKEMIA, VIRUSES, HEPATITIS, INFERTILITY., etc. you can contact  the great  one  directly on his........@ drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com  He is a good man, and He will help you.  

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up with asthma; I suffered sinus and respiratory infections my entire life. I started smoking at 16. When I was in my early 40s, my asthma was becoming increasingly worse. I was diagnosed with CHF at age 47. I am now 55. I quit smoking four years ago. The disease does not improve. My good days were far, I was scared that I won’t survive it but I was so lucky to receive a herbal products from my step father who bought it while coming from South Africa for Rugby league, this herbal remedies saved me from this disease, at first it helps fight the symptoms of diseases and I was seeing good outcome, I had to use it for 13 weeks just as they Dr was prescribed and I was totally cured of asthma and Congestive heart failure (CHF) ( multivitamincare.org ) do not hesitate to purchase from them they deliver across worldwide also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had my TL a little more than a year ago when my third child was born via c-section. I was not told ANYTHING about the possible side effects of having this procedure. Since then I have experienced heavy bleeding lasting sometimes 3 weeks out of the month, weight gain, severe mood swings. Severe cramping, changes to my libido, severe depression accompanied by suicidal thoughts, headaches, migraines, many new symptoms & older issues are now exacerbated. The father of two of my children doesn't want me anymore. I've become too much of a pain in the ass I guess. We don't talk. We don't sleep in the same bed. I think he might really think I am crazy... & maybe I am. I feel crazy a lot of the time.
    I'm unpredictable. I feel so angry about the whole thing & now what was once a mild fear of doctors has exploded into full on white coat syndrome that causes me to have a panic attack/hypertensive emergency (severe increase in blood pressure) whenever I have to deal with them. I'm not sure what to do... I fear the next time I have to see a doctor I'll have a stroke or a heart attack from the stress & anxiety of it... what do I do? I take my time and keep searching on internet looking for natural healing that how I came across Dr Itua herbal center website and I was so excited when Dr Itua told me to calm down that he will help me with his natural remedy I put my hope on him so I purchase his herbal medicines which was shipped to my address I used it as prescribed guess what? I'm totally healed my cramp pain is gone completely I also used his Anti Bacteria herbal medicines it's works for me very well I want anyone with health problem to contact Dr Itua herbal center for any kind diseases remedies such as Parkinson, Herpes, ALS, MS, Diabetes, Hepatitis, Hiv/Aids,Cancers, Men & Women Infertility, I got his email address  drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com he has any kind of herbal remedies for women & men also for our babes. I really miss my Hunni...he's a fantastic father & a good man. He doesn't deserve this. I feel like an empty shell of who I used to be.

    ReplyDelete